I am seriously amazed by the effort by some people who want to make this world a better place by recycling trash into something useful. Without even noticing it, your unused kitchen appliances such as plastic milk jugs, shopping bags, bottles, etc can be used for gardening. The good thing is, it would reduce trash and you can save money from it.
Nobody really noticed that your unused items can really be beneficial for gardening needs. I collected some info from several websites that made articles about unused items that we can use to save money and our environment for gardening purposes:
There are many things we can use from our unused items to make plant markers:
- Plastic milk jugs: cut into strips and put it in plants as markers
- Wooden ice-cream stick: finish your ice cream, wash the wooden stick and you can use it right away
- Plastic lids
In some supermarket, they sell recycle shopping bags that were intentionally made for after-use. Good news for gardeners, we can use these bags to make vegetable/plant container. How to use it is very simple:
- Just make some holes on the bottom of the bag for water drainage
- Add potting soil until it is about an inch from the top of the bag
- Add some fertilizer
- Separate lettuce seedlings
- Put the lettuce on the bag and add some water on the soil.
Another gardening technique to conserve your plant is by creating garden cloches from plastic bottles. Normally most gardeners use glass made cloches to protect seedlings and young plants from cold temperatures. Today, gardener can benefit from used plastic bottles for the same use.
Cut the bottom of a unused plastic bottle and cover the plant with it. During daylight, remove the bottle cap to avoid over-heating inside the bottle that might kill the plant. It’s always better to use transparent plastic bottle (not all-white milk plastic bottle) that enable you to see the development of the plant without needing to take the bottle off the soil.
Drip irrigation system
The plastic bottle can also be used for something else. Drip irrigation system is a method to prevent dehidration of your plant. The technique is almost similar to making garden cloches, but not exactly. This technique is quite effective for growing plants, you just need to create a small hole in the cap of the bottle and bury the bottle (head/cap inside the soil) to create a dripping effect to water the plant/plants.
Here are the steps:
- Cut the bottom of the bottle
- Create 4-5 holes in the cap of the plastic bottle
- Dig a hole deep enough next to the plants or group of plants to place the bottle. One third to one of half of the bottle has to be burried
- Do not forget to plant the bottle in reverse order (the bottle cap inside the soil..)
- As soon as the bottle is placed, pour water inside the bottle.
- You can also add fertilizer in the bottle every 2 weeks so the plants are vertilized directly to the roots.